Drobo introduces the ability to create a dedicated backup volume for use with OS X Time Machine, Windows Backup and Restore, or other backup software. The backup volume is compatible with encrypted backup options. This article will show you how to set it up.
Creating a backup volume
These steps will create a fixed-size backup volume that will appear as a new disk, separate from your main Drobo volume. Having this dedicated, fixed-size backup volume will prevent backup software from filling your main Drobo volume with daily backups.
Follow these steps:
- Open Drobo Dashboard, and wait for your Drobo to appear under All Drobos.
- Double-click the image of your Drobo
- Click Volumes.
- Click the Enable Backup button.
- Enter a name for your backup volume and the desired size (GB).
- Click OK.
- When you see the "Confirm Restart" dialog, take a moment to stop any activity on the Drobo, because it must restart. When you are ready, click Yes to continue.
- Wait until you receive the message that "Volume management changes have been made successfully," then click OK.
- Now you will see the backup volume you created listed under Volumes. You may now close Drobo Dashboard.
- To finish the process, open the settings for your third-party backup software, such as Time Machine, and select the backup volume that you created as the destination volume.